Saturday, September 21, 2013

A Big Brothers Love

Raafay is 9 and 1/2 years old. He has always been a good big brother to Nomi. All kids fight, and they have their moments, but at the end of the day, they really love each other. Raafay understands that Nomi has trouble with his vision, and though at times he gets frustrated with it, he always manages to make sure his brother is OK.

When Nomi first started going to school, Raafay used to walk him to the pick up area where the teachers come and get the students. Raafay would not leave until Ms. Caskey, Nomi's teacher, arrived. This made him late to class almost every day. The Vice Principal, Ms. Weathers, approached Raafay and told him to go to class, Nomi would be fine, and he shouldn't be late. Raafay simply refused. He said, "I can't leave Nomi until his teacher comes." Eventually, we had to speak to him and let him know his brother would be fine, and that he should go to class.

This is just an example of how much he loves his brother.

Today, when we were packing to leave, Raafay wrote a note for his brother and he asked me to share it on the blog. It has not been edited. I am typing it verbatim.

"I feel very scared about leaving Nomi to let him go to the hospital to get the surgery but I am also very happy he is going to get his eyes fixed and if I could I would go with him to encourage because he knows I love him.  Signed Raafay."

As we were in the car, driving to my sisters house to drop Raafay off, Nomi turned to him and said: "I'm going to Miss you Beeya."   To which Raafay replied: "I'm going to miss you too" and he gave him a big hug and kiss.

These are the moments that we treasure. No matter what the future holds, Nomi has a big brother who will always be there for him.




No comments:

Post a Comment